[Corpora-List] Jobs: Computational linguistics researcher, Sharp, Oxford

John Nonweiler john.nonweiler at sharp.co.uk
Tue Feb 12 18:29:57 CET 2008

Research Scientist

Sharp Laboratories of Europe Oxford, UK

Sharp Laboratories of Europe is looking for a bright and enthusiastic researcher to join a growing team developing future systems using language technology.

We are researching and developing novel technologies to enhance Sharp devices and create future business opportunities for Sharp. We are working in areas such as example based machine translation and language e-learning on mobile devices.

Main Responsibilities:

* Performing innovative applied research in computational linguistics

* Building working software prototypes

Requirements:

* You have a passion for technology

* An MSc or PhD in computer science, mathematics, or a related field

* Experience of natural language processing and/or information retrieval

* Good software programming skills

* Experience or interest in any of the following areas is also beneficial:

* Chinese and/or Japanese linguistics

* User interfaces and human-computer interaction

* Computer-assisted language learning (CALL)

* Experience of working in an R&D environment is beneficial

* Good people skills on top of your technical skills

Sharp Corporation is internationally recognized for its innovation in consumer products such as e-dictionaries, mobile phones, and Aquos LCD TVs. Sharp Laboratories is a subsidiary of Sharp Corporation and one of the leading European research centers in consumer electronics. We have over 15 years of experience in language and information technology. We offer state of the art facilities, a competitive salary, staff pension plan, and excellent career development opportunities. You can read more about our work at www.sle.sharp.co.uk

How to apply: Applicants should send a covering letter and CV quoting ref: RES-ITS/0048 to Joanne Smith, Sharp Laboratories of Europe Limited, Edmund Halley Road, Oxford. OX4 4GB. Alternatively email: jobs at sharp.co.uk