[Corpora-List] Announcement: Release of the DependencyTreebankDatabase DTDB 1.0

tufis at racai.ro tufis at racai.ro
Wed Feb 6 17:59:57 CET 2008

Dear Olga,

At http://corp.hum.sdu.dk Eckhard Bick created a great grammatically annotated Romanian corpus and some other similar annotated corpora for various languages.

The Romanian corpus covers the business language domain and has a size of 21.4 million words (27 million tokens). It was compiled by Arina Greavu (arinagreavu at yahoo.com) from news text sources, and annotated with (a) PoS and morphology using our tagger, as well as (b) syntactic function and shallow dependency markers using a Constraint Grammar system at VISL (http://beta.visl.sdu.dk/constraint_grammar.html). You might get further information from Eckhard (eckhard.bick at mail.dk)

Best regards,

Dan

From: corpora-bounces at uib.no [mailto:corpora-bounces at uib.no] On Behalf Of Olga Pustylnikov Sent: 5 februarie 2008 10:49 To: corpora at uib.no Subject: Re: [Corpora-List] Announcement: Release of the DependencyTreebankDatabase DTDB 1.0

Dear Sabine,

thank you for your response and for your helpful hints. Our goals behind the conversion into eGXL were mainly: 1. to get a unification by means of XML 2. to integrate the treebanks into a corpus management system where not only treebanks but as well spoken and web corpora are stored/retrieved by means of GXL (an XML based graph representation format).

Restricting on a one specific format is always bound to additional adaptations of your application when you have to deal with a new treebank. Thus, we tried to select a format which is generic enough to be reused and which is suitable for treebanks. GXL is a generic graph model which allows to represent any kinds of corpora, since you can represent any sorts of relations in terms of a graph. That makes GXL a useful means for corpus retrieval. Treebanks can easily be mapped to it (since trees are special cases of graphs). eGXL slightly modifies GXL in order to account for specifics of treebanks. Thus, we selected this format while it meets both requirements - to be generic and suitable for treebanks.

In my paper I don't provide a detailed comparison of eGXL to other formats. However, CoNNL is referred to by comparing the treebanks, although only indirectly. Please send me a reference to your work, which I've missed to mention in this paper and I will consider it in my future work.

Best regards,