[Corpora-List] Common objects & descriptive features -- advice needed

saket saketn at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 17:35:20 CET 2008

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice on how to approach the following problem.

I'm trying to create a "feature vector" for a list of common objects. For example, for a "banana" I'd like to be able to say that it has an "elongated SIZE", "yellow COLOR", "smooth TEXTURE", etc. This could amount to looking up the object in the dictionary or WordNet and extracting adjectives and noun phrases, but I also need to be able to automatically infer that adjective1 corresponds to the descriptive feature for "size", adjective2 for "color", etc. This could also be a probabilistic construction, which says that it's "usually yellow, but maybe also green".

Essentially, I'm trying to create a database defining objects based on their descriptive features, which I think can be used for a variety of tasks. Have people approached this problem before? Does there exist a corpora which might be relevant here? What's the best dictionary to use? Any advice?

Thanks.

Saket Navlakha saket at cs.umd.edu