[Corpora-List] Paraconc - some problems

Stella Tagnin seotagni at usp.br
Mon Mar 19 15:09:00 CET 2007

Dear colleagues,

One of my students in having problems with ParaConc. Ay help you might give her is sincerely appreciated. I transcribe her message below

[Quote]

I'm carrying out a research for my master's degree, and I'm using ParaConc 269 to align 3 parallel texts : the original text in English and two translations of the same text in Portuguese. I've used start/stop tags, and the segments are indicated by the segment start and end tags <seg> and </seg>.

I'm having some difficulties in performing a parallel Search after having aligned the texts (the option is not even highlighted for use). It is the concordance lines I am interested in. Sometimes, the option "scan corpus" appears, and then the option is highlighted. But when I activate "View corpus alignment" to check, the option "parallel search" disappears again.

I wonder if any of you have come across a similar difficulty, and if so, I would be most grateful if you could help me. I could send the texts already prepared for the alignment (English- Portuguese-Portuguese) if you write to alvamar @ amcham .com. br, so that you can see if they look fine to you, and if you are successful in performing a parallel or advanced search after their alignment.

Thanking you all in advance,

Alvamar Helena de Campos Andrade Lamparelli

University of São Paulo

[Unquote]

Thanks

Stella Tagnin