[Corpora-List] Up to three PhD-Positions as of October 2007
dietrich.klakow at lsv.uni-saarland.de
Tue Mar 6 10:45:00 CET 2007
Up to three PhD scholarships starting in October 2007 are available in
Partnership International for Research and Education (PIRE)
Meaning Representations in Language Understanding
The partnership for research and education (PIRE), established in 2005,
is a collaborative PhD programme between
* Saarland University, Germany
* the Brown Laboratory for Linguistic Information Processing headed by
* The Johns Hopkins University Center for Language and Speech Processing
(CLSP) headed by Frederick Jelinek
* Charles University (Jan Hajic), Czech Republic.
PIRE is also affiliated with our existing International Research
Training Group (IRTG) co-operation with Edinburgh University.
Each scholarship is funded for two years, normally extendable for a
third year. Doctoral degrees may be obtained in computational
linguistics, phonetics, or informatics, from Saarland University. The
official language of the programme is English. Distinguishing features
of the cooperation include:
- Joint supervision of dissertations by lecturers from Saarbruecken and
our US partner universities
- A six month research stay either at Brown University or at Johns
- An intensive research exchange programme between all four universities
involved in PIRE.
PhD projects will be in the area of meaning representation for natural
language processing and suitable applications like machine translation
or speech reconstruction.
The scholarship currently provides EURO 1468 per month. Additional
compensation includes family allowance (where applicable), travel
funding, support for carrying out experiments, and an additional monthly
allowance for the duration of the stay in the US. Applicants should hold
a strong university degree equivalent to the German Diplom or Magister
(e.g. Master's level) in a relevant discipline, and should not be more
than 28 years of age. Women and international students are particularly
encouraged to apply.
Deadline for applications: 30 April, 2007
Applications should be sent electronically to:
pire-admin at CoLi.Uni-SB.DE
To be fully considered, please include:
- a curriculum vitae indicating degrees obtained, disciplines covered
(e.g. list of courses ), publications, and other relevant experience
- a sample of written work (e.g. research paper, or dissertation,
preferably in English)
- copies of high school and university certificates, and transcripts
- two references (e-mailed directly to the PIRE office
(verburg at CoLi.Uni-SB.DE) before the deadline)
- a statement of research interests, previous knowledge and activities
in any of the relevant research areas.
If you have already applied for our IRTG postions
(http://www.coli.uni-saarland.de/projects/igk/announcement/) or are
planing to do so, you do not need to send your complete application
again, but just a short note, that you would also like to be considered
In case an application can only be submitted by regular post, it should
be sent to:
Department of Computational Linguistics
P.O. Box 15 11 50
If you have any questions, please contact Prof. Dr. Dietrich Klakow
(pire-admin at CoLi.Uni-SB.DE).
For more information see also
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Corpora-archive