[Corpora-List] list of cognates

Alexander BOULTON Alex.Boulton at univ-nancy2.fr
Mon Jan 15 09:30:01 CET 2007

Henriette Walter in her book "Honni [sic] soit qui mal y pense:
L'incroyable histoire d'amour entre le français et l'anglais" (Paris:
Laffont, 2001) provides a list of 3222 words which are identical in
written form (even accents) and with essentially the same meaning: she
calls them "très bons amis" to counter the far fewer "faux amis" or
false friends between English and French.

She also gives a summary of other research which examines cognates in
11 European languages (including English, French & Spanish): 1225
words with the same etymological root at least, the vast majority of
which are identical or virtually so.

Hope it's of some help
alex

--
Alex Boulton
CRAPEL-ATILF/CNRS & CTU Nancy Universités

Ecoutez pour comprendre ! Visitez le site et faites-nous part de vos
observations : http://www.epc.univ-nancy2.fr/