[Corpora-List] list of cognates

Mike Maxwell maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Fri Jan 12 15:31:00 CET 2007

Andrea Mulloni wrote:

> I am trying to expand my own list of list of cognates English/Spanish

> (currently 658 entries) and English/French (currenlty 654) for an

> ongoing project. Any pointers?

There is a table of cognate percentages (labeled as "Lexical
Similarities") at
http://www.orbilat.com/General_Survey/Romance_Languages.html. I don't
know how they determined this, but it's at least possible that they had
(or built) a list of cognates.

Greg Kondrak (http://www.cs.ualberta.ca/~kondrak/) has done work on the
identification of cognates, and may know of lists. He has a short list
of English-French cognates
(http://www.cs.ualberta.ca/~kondrak/cognatesEF.html). Some of the items
on his list are surprising: 'ven(ir)' with 'come'. I *think* the former
is Latin and the latter Germanic, so if they're cognates it must date
back to Indo-European... Same with 'frere' and 'brother', 'loup' and
'wolf' (well, for the last two pairs I can at least see a couple
consonants that might have a common origin), and a bunch of other
cognate pairs I see on his list.

I would be interested in hearing more about your project.
--
Mike Maxwell
maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu