[Corpora-List] Numbers of English vocabulary required for students

Brett Reynolds brett.reynolds at humber.ca
Mon Oct 2 03:32:00 CEST 2006

On Oct 1, 2006, at 8:49 PM, Su-hsun Tsai wrote:

> I would like to know how many words of English vocabulary required

> for a high school graduate entering a college/university program?

> Do you have a similar requirement for students entering into high

> schools?

Leaving aside the question of what it means to "know" a word...

In Ontario, Canada, I know of no school that gets as specific as to
have a minimum number of known words as an entry requirement.
However, from a practical viewpoint, you should have a look at Paul
Nation's work with word families. Paul's results suggests that the
2000 most common word families, plus the 570 word families of Averil
Coxhead's Academic Word List would be a minimum for most non-native
speakers of English to begin tertiary education.

Best,
Brett

<http://english-jack.blogspot.com>

Brett Reynolds
English Language Centre
Humber Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
brett.reynolds at humber.ca