[Corpora-List] Codings for corpus files to be used in ParaConc

José Manuel Martínez Martínez pitragoras at yahoo.es
Mon Jun 19 17:54:01 CEST 2006

Dear colleagues,

I'm compiling a corpus on European Parliamentary Speeches and I have
found out that names of MEPs from Eastern Europe countries are displayed
with errors when we use them with ParaConc. The same happens with
accents in Spanish texts. We have saved our files as .txt using the
coding Unicode (UTF-8). When we use the texts saved using the coding
Western Europe (ISO) Spanish problems disappear but not those given with
Eastern Europe languages.
Does anybody know a single coding we can use for any language spoken in
the European Parliament?
Thank very much.
Best regards,

José Manuel