Advice on postgraduate study in computational linguistics

Angela.Chambers angela.chambers at ul.ie
Wed Jan 11 16:50:01 CET 2006

Dear Colleagues,

A final-year student studying for a BA in Applied Languages with Computing
(French and Spanish to degree level plus a module on computing each
semester) has asked my advice about postgraduate study in computational
linguistics. His grades are currently high in the first class honours
category. The computing modules, which include programming, are taken from
the modules available in our Computer Science department; they are not
specifically designed for our programme. Although I'm not a computational
linguist, I'm familiar with the names of the universities active in this
area, but I don't know what is the most appropriate way to advise him on
pursuing a career in research. I'd be grateful for any advice list members
might have to offer.

Thanks and regards,
Angela Chambers

Professor Angela Chambers
Director, Centre for Applied Language Studies,
University of Limerick, Limerick, Ireland
Tel. + 353 61 202251
Fax: + 353 61 202556
Email: Angela.Chambers at ul.ie