[Corpora-List] Google searches as linguistic evidence

William Fletcher fletcher at usna.edu
Thu Dec 7 14:53:00 CET 2006

I too was amazed that a number of _an workshop_ hits may be from native speakers.

Google advanced search specifying English as language and UK as domain drastically reduces the hit count for the an-variant. With these filters it is immediately obvious which usage predominates, by a factor of 20,000:1. (Some webpages with German text did slip by the filters; search engines often mislabel the language of a document, and have no way to identify multilingual text.)

All the examples of _an w*_ I found in the BNC seem to be _an'_ = _and_.

Regards,
Bill Fletcher