[Corpora-List] Numpties and bennies

Diana Maynard d.maynard at dcs.shef.ac.uk
Wed Dec 6 13:24:00 CET 2006

Hi Harry

My first thought was that it either meant "going on a bender" ie going
out and getting drunk, or having a big strop. The latter is confirmed by
good old Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benny_(slang)

/In England, the term is used as a pejorative slang term to describe
anyone of apparent mental slowness, especially by children (derived from
the character of the same name, played by Paul Henry
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Henry_%28actor%29> in the soap opera
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soap_opera> //Crossroads
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossroads_%28TV_series%29>). It is also
used to describe a person in a fit of rage or having a tantrum as in
"He's having a benny"./

A google search for "having a benny" reveals this and many similar examples.

The urban dictionary also reveals a number of other meanings

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=benny

I guess this demonstrates the power of the internet over the BNC as a
corpus.....

Incidentally, there's no wikipedia entry for "numpty".
I must admit I would consider numpty to be on the fringe of the nonPC
terms, but then you can say the same about pretty much any of its
synonyms......

Diana