[Corpora-List] SIL & MSLL references

Mark P. Line mark at polymathix.com
Sun Sep 11 20:15:00 CEST 2005

geoffrey.williams wrote:

> Maybe that this just shows that in using abbreviations which are

> unnecessarily giving extra work to our librarians and archivist as, as

> time goes by, some of our published bibiographies will become more

> obscure. I shall have to be more careful when I shorthand IJL and IJCL.

Actually, journal title abbreviations are very easy to find except when
the journal never had an ISSN number and was never cited often enough with
a particular abbreviation to make it into anybody's database.

Published bibliographies are becoming less and less useful as more and
more citations are being listed online. Certainly, I wouldn't worry about
using abbreviations in ongoing work, since practically all new citations
are listed online. It's still a good idea to use the most current
abbreviation for a journal if there is one, though.

-- Mark

Mark P. Line
Polymathix
San Antonio, TX