FW: Query about working languages

Angela.Chambers Angela.Chambers at ul.ie
Sun May 29 19:11:00 CEST 2005

Dear Colleagues,
On receiving the recent message concerning the distinction between official
and working languages of the EU, I thought I knew the answer, but decided to
consult a real expert before replying. I forwarded the request to Paul
Holdsworth in the European Commission and his response is attached.
Regards
Angela

Hello Angela
There is no distinction between 'official' EU languages and the working
languages of the EU institutions. They are the same. I have not heard of any
suggestion by the Commission to reduce the number of working languages.
This web page of the Directorate-General for Interpretation (SCIC) has
some useful info.
http://europa.eu.int/comm/scic/thescic/multilingualism_en.htm#2
This page of the Directorate-General for Translation has additional
info.
http://europa.eu.int/comm/dgs/translation/enlargement/2004/new_languages
_en.
htm
Best wishes
Paul Holdsworth
Deputy Head of Unit
Multilingualism Policy
European Commission - Directorate General for Education and Culture
Directorate A
Unit 5
*+32-2-296.74.34 (direct phone)
* +32-2-299.63.21 (fax)
* http://europa.eu.int/comm/education/policies/lang/languages_en.html

Professor Angela Chambers
Director, Centre for Applied Language Studies,
University of Limerick, Limerick, Ireland
Tel. + 353 61 202251
Fax: + 353 61 202556
Email: Angela.Chambers at ul.ie