official languages

Leela Pienaar L.Pienaar at ru.ac.za
Tue May 24 17:22:00 CEST 2005

Dear Bart and all

>>I am curious to know what the Corpora-list members can teach us about

>>their respective constitutions.

The South African constitution (1996) says quite a lot about 'official
languages' in Chap 1 - (Founding Provisions). I have only ever seen an
English version of it though!

"6. Languages
1. The official languages of the Republic are Sepedi, Sesotho,
Setswana, siSwati, Tshivenda, Xitsonga, Afrikaans, English, isiNdebele,
isiXhosa and isiZulu."

You can access the whole constitution at:
http://www.info.gov.za/documents/constitution/index.htm

For a more detailed explanation of the language provisions see Chapter 1,
Section 6.

Leela

Leela Pienaar
Associate Editor
Dictionary Unit For South African English,
Rhodes University, P.O. Box 94
Grahamstown 6140.

Ph/Fax: +27 (0)46 603 8107