[Corpora-List] Re: [Corpora-List] Breton, Flemish, Catalan, Basque, Occitan, Franco-provençal, Alsacian

Jean Veronis Jean.Veronis at up.univ-mrs.fr
Mon May 23 14:42:00 CEST 2005

Bart Defrancq a écrit :

> Dear Jean,

> I was wondering whether French universities are involved in research

> on the minority languages in France, and especially their preservation

> through corpus research. Ironic...

The answer is no, and this is a shame.

France is not a good example to follow, since it has an extremely tough
position towards its language minorities -- a position I call
"linguistic guillotine". It goes back to the French revolution, and even
before (François Ier, for example, and the "Edit de Villers-Cotterets in
2539 if my memory serves me well).

I am trying to do what I can in my corner, with no funding of course :

http://www.up.univ-mrs.fr/tresoc/

--j
http://aixtal.blogspot.com