[Corpora-List] Constitution

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Sun May 15 21:45:00 CEST 2005

I hope that this is meant at least partially as a tongue in cheek
analogy!
As a European citizen I would be really depressed to learn that all the
terminology in the constitution was entirely constructed as a kind of
brand-identification. Am I hopelessly naive in thinking that some at
least of the terms relate to concepts that do actually exist in all
the languages of the EU?
Of course, specific terminology with a specific Euro-flavour does
exist, and existing corpus methods of terminology-extraction surely are
very good at identifying it. I don't see any evidence for the assertion
that corpora don't exist for most of the "newish" EU languages: on the
contrary, it's in that area that the last few years have seen enormous
expansion.

Lou

On 15 May 2005, at 14:03, John F. Sowa wrote:

> Adam,

> These issues are typical of a large number of applications.

> The current discussion is about EU documents, but very

> similar issues arise in commercial applications.

> For example, a multinational company X, which has its roots

> in country A, will typically have most documents written in

> the language of A. Large numbers of new terms that refer to

> X's products and their novel features will be coined in terms

> of the A lexicon, and corresponding terms will have to be

> coined in each of the languages for each of the markets

> to which X sells their products. Furthermore, the product

> developers will constantly be extending the terminology,

> coining new terms, and modifying the meanings of old terms

> even while terminologists are trying to define equivalents.

> Replace the term "EU" with "market" and the same problems

> exist in commercial applications:

> > I'm not sure that corpus methods are very relevant.

> > For new and newish EU languages, the corpora don't exist

> > yet or where they do, are likely to be full of

> > inconsistencies and not dependable.

> The denotation of the term "corpus methods" changes with

> every new method that anyone invents. If the current methods

> can't handle problems of this sort, that's an important

> challenge for researchers to develop new ones.

> John Sowa

From the Macmini at Burnard Towers