[Corpora-List] Spoken corpora - permission issues

Ramesh Krishnamurthy R.Krishnamurthy at aston.ac.uk
Thu May 12 11:33:01 CEST 2005

Hi Jean

>Beyond legal aspects, there are also ethics

>issues. Even if some countries allow this (which

>I am not sure), do we want to record people

>without their knowing (even on trivial matters) ?

But if people know beforehand that they are going
to be recorded, might this not alter
what they say and their way of saying it?

Surely asking their permission afterwards - after
they have listened to the recording, if they
are worried - should not be rejected as a possible ethically-sound policy?

After all, CCTV operates in many public spaces
without asking anyone's permission beforehand....

Best
Ramesh

--
Ramesh Krishnamurthy