[Corpora-List] Re: problems with Google

Marian Olteanu mou_softwin at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 26 05:48:00 CET 2005

It looks like Google resumed the support for the wildcard ("*").

"what does mean" returns 13,500 results
"what does * mean" returns 8,260,000 results
"what does * * mean" returns 1,890,000 results

See:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=%22what+does+mean%22&btnG=Search

--- Pascal Soucy <pascal.soucy.1 at ulaval.ca> wrote:

> Googles does that with all stopwords. If you search for:

> what does "the" "the" mean, you'll get the same behavior. Google ignores

> stopwords (and * seems to managed as a stopword).

> Both the queries:

> what does "*" mean

> and

> what does "*" "*" mean

> results in about the same list of documents. The difference between the two

> occurs in the ranking process. The ranking algorithm likely use term proximity

> so to better match the query as it is written and it keep the position of

> stopwords in the query to do that.

> Pascal Soucy

> Coveo

> Selon John Milton <lcjohn at ust.hk>, 17.03.2005:

> > I just discovered that Google seems to have retained some use of the

> > wildcard for words if you use double quotes with the asterisk. A search

> > for "what does "*" mean" and "what does "*" "*" mean" results MAINLY in

> > any one and two words respectively. If anyone else is using web searches

> > as language learning/teaching resources, this also looks promising:

> > http://www.findforward.com/

> > John Milton

> > Hong Kong University of Science & Technology

Marian
http://www.utdallas.edu/~mgo031000/