[Corpora-List] problems with Google counts

Philip Resnik resnik at umiacs.umd.edu
Fri Mar 18 17:38:03 CET 2005

Ring Low <mlow at acsu.buffalo.edu> writes:

> I agree that using Google to conduct linguistic studies has gotten more

> and more difficult since then, as the design of the search engine has

> been changing due to commercial reasons. We do need a search engine

> design specically for linguistic studies.

A few people wrote me to suggest that this might be a good opportunity
to mention the Linguist's Search Engine (http://lse.umiacs.umd.edu/).
And it is, assuming we carefully distinguish between linguistic
studies that do and do not rely on automatic counting. A great deal
of linguistic insight can be gained by doing linguistically informed
searches, and then looking at the data with the same methodological
caveats that linguists must traditionally heed: you need to be sure
the data comes from a native speaker, that the word (or construction,
or sentence) is being used in the intended meaning, that the context
is not exercising some unusual influence, etc.

Philip

Philip Resnik, Associate Professor
Department of Linguistics and Institute for Advanced Computer Studies

1401 Marie Mount Hall UMIACS phone: (301) 405-6760
University of Maryland Linguistics phone: (301) 405-8903
College Park, MD 20742 USA Fax: (301) 314-2644 / (301) 405-7104
http://umiacs.umd.edu/~resnik E-mail: resnik at umiacs.umd.edu