[Corpora-List] Lexical bundles - and meaningful items...

Ute Römer ute.roemer at anglistik.uni-hannover.de
Fri Jul 8 08:14:00 CEST 2005

Dear John and others,

That's an interesting issue. In my research on items of evaluative meaning
in academic discourse I also look at n-grams of different lengths and I get
the impression that 3 words are just not enough to constitute a meaningful
item (it is not so much a handling problem, I think; that could be worked
out). With respect to meaning creation (and that's what I am mainly
interested in), 4-grams and 5-grams seem to be ideal (and 6+-grams too
long). They enable you to spot frames/patterns/phrases which express a
particular meaning. Single words are rather useless, as are most 2-word and
3-word items I extracted. But I suppose that concordances of frequent
3-grams may still lead you to some interesting (and meaningful) 4- and
5-word items.

Best wishes... Ute

Ute Römer
English Department