[Corpora-List] Texts 1900-1970

Mark Davies Mark_Davies at byu.edu
Tue Dec 13 10:49:03 CET 2005

> Does anyone know of any freely downloadable or searchable

> corpora or text collections which contain English texts

> spanning (at least) the period 1900-1970?

> Try newspapers archives on the net. You may need to (freely or not)

subscribe to the sites.

(http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/nytimes/advancedsearch.html)

> goes back to 19th century

I have a follow-up question on this. I'm looking for periodicals from
1900-1970, but I need texts that are in text format and might be
downloaded (even for a fee). While the New York Times is nice, the
search results just take you to a PDF file. Even with Adobe Acrobat or
other PDF>TXT conversion programs, the resulting PDF file can't be saved
as text.

I would imagine that some other newspapers contain (downloadable)
text-format articles from probably the 1970s on. While this would be
nice, I'm particularly interested in "popular culture" periodicals from
1900-1970 (magazines like Good Housekeeping, Seventeen, Reader's Digest,
etc [examples from the US]). Because of the dates, there would
undoubtedly be copyright/licensing issues, but it would nevertheless be
nice to know if such text-based resources exist in the first place.

Thanks in advance for any leads others might have.

Mark Davies

Mark Davies
Assoc. Prof., Linguistics
Brigham Young University
(phone) 801-422-9168 / (fax) 801-422-0906

http://davies-linguistics.byu.edu

** Corpus design and use // Linguistic databases **
** Historical linguistics // Language variation **
** English, Spanish, and Portuguese **