[Corpora-List] Semantic Prosody questions?

Irena Shuke irenashuke at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 18 11:32:01 CET 2004

Dear John,

Thank you for your reply - I'd better post a list of what I have read so
far, then.

Stubbs, Michael (1995), Collocations and Semantic Profiles: On the Cause of
the Trouble with Quantitative Studies, at
http://www.uni-trier.de/uni/fb2/anglistik/Projekte/stubbs/cause.htm

Rundell, Mike (2000), These Things Happen. In Humanising Language Teaching,
Year 2, Issue 4, July 2000, at http://www.hltmag.co.uk/jul00/idea.htm

"Domestic discord, rocky relationships: semantic prosodies in
representations of marital violence in the O.J. Simpson trial" by Janet
Cotterill, CARDIFF UNIVERSITY, 2001, at
http://www.btinternet.com/%7ENegativecharisma/dv/cotterill.pdf

"What is an advanced vocabulary?" Meeting; Presenter: Mike McCarthy (Western
Infirmary Lecture Theatre, Glasgow - 19 October 2002) at
http://www.satefl.org.uk/newsletters/winter0103/meeting.doc

"CREATURES OF HABIT? WHAT TRANSLATORS USUALLY DO WITH WORDS" by DOROTHY
KENNY, Dublin City University, Dublin, Ireland, Meta, XLIII, 4, 1998
http://www.pum.umontreal.ca/savant/meta/v43n04/kenny/kenny.pdf

Nelson, Mike (2000), A Corpus-Based Study of Business English and Business
English Teaching Materials, Unpublished PhD Thesis - Chapter 4.4, at
http://www.kielikanava.com/chap4.html

"Beyond collocation: meaning groups and semantic prosody in Business English
- Computers and Semantic Prosody" by Mike Nelson at
http://www.kielikanava.com/semantic.html

"If only they'd asked a linguist…" by Mike Rundell, Humanising Language
Teaching, Year 4; Issue 4; July 02, at
http://www.hltmag.co.uk/jul02/idea.htm

I have also read the discussion on this list at
http://helmer.aksis.uib.no/corpora/2003-2/0097.html, which is how I found
out about this group.

Again, thank you everyone for responding, I appreciate it very much. I am
right now in the process of trying to order the books recommended here, and
reading what is available online. Thanks so much.

Irena
irenashuke at hotmail.com