[Corpora-List] Semantic Prosody questions?

John Colby colby at soe.ucsc.edu
Thu Dec 16 06:04:01 CET 2004

Yes, referring back to Irena's original post I see that she used the
term "semantic prosody" while the work I mentioned is about the
relationship between "semantics" and "prosody", or perhaps how
"prosody" can acts as semantic operators. However, I defer to the
authors that I mentioned for a precise definition of "semantics and
prosody".

Thank you for pointing out this distinction, as the two terms mean very
different things.

John

On Dec 15, 2004, at 8:24 PM, Xiao, Zhonghua wrote:

> It appears that "semantic prosody" has been seriously misinterpreted

> as "semantics and prosody" in this posting.

> Mike Nelson's online thesis (section 4.4) has a nice discussion of

> semantic prosodies (or perhaps a mixture of semantic prosody and

> semantic preference):

> http://www.kielikanava.com/thesis.html

> Richard

John E. Colby